Jim Wilson writes:

> Norman Vine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> > Jim Wilson writes:

> > > Hmmm...some interesting hints in there.
> >
> > Indeed,  I esp like the super impostor
> > i.e the 'distant' clouds are clumped together into a mosaic of clouds as an
> > impostor where each cloud used to make the mosaic is an impostor itself :-)
>
> Of course there's no sample code :-)

:-)

>I wonder at what distance they start doing that...

Probably no need to draw anything a greater distance
then 3 or four cloud cell size

> and if there is a significant benefit over say using a more
> numerous set of textures to enhance what we already have for distant overcast

Yes there is a BIG win with this technique as there is no need to draw
the cloud textures each frame < except for the very closest clouds >
as they are 'burned into' a 'new' background sky texture which could be a
direct replacement for what we are doing now.

i.e the clouds would in essence be drawn for free in that they are only
periodically updated and the background fill time is the ~same whether
using color or texture :-))

Cheers

Norman