Installing scenery can be a bit of a chore for people who are new to our project and don't know exactly how everything is supposed to be layed out on disk.

This weekend I've hacked up a little helper app that is intended to be a "sibling" to Bernie's fgrun. I've tentatively called it "fgadmin" and it's written similarly using fltk.

Thinking about windows and our fgsetup.exe for a moment. The idea is that this app would get installed along with fgrun and fgfs and the installer would automatically set up the fgadmin preferences to know where FG is installed. This means the first time it is run, it will already now where to put scenery.

In addition, it's linked against libtar and libz so it can extract the .tar.gz files without any helper apps.

So when the app comes up, it presents a scrolling list of all the .tar.gz files at the source which are available to install. In a parallel window it presents all the scenery chunks that are already installed (which the user might want to uninstall.) The user can select any number of files to install/uninstall and the system will do the work automatically.

I've placed my first stab at this here:

http://www.flightgear.org/tmp/fgadmin-1.0.0.tar.gz

It requires requires fltk, plib, simgear, libz and libtar.

In the future I can imagine that something similar might be useful for installing/uninstalling aircraft. There are a number of directions we could take this which would all be interesting and useful.

I'm hoping a few people could try this out (especially under windows) and see what they think. What changes are required to build under MSVC for instance? (Hopefully none or very few)

Between this and Bernie's latest changes to fgrun, I'm hoping that our next release will be a huge leap forward in terms of providing a easy to run/install system for new users.

Regards,

Curtis Olson   Intelligent Vehicles Lab         FlightGear Project