I Just modified my 2.4.21-199 kernel on SuSe 9.0, using a patch from David
Megginson and Alex Perry (I assume that you guys were the authors, I actually
had to dig the patch out a mailinglist web archive), last weekend. Patching
the 2.4.21 kernel went pretty flawlessly, even though the patch was
oriiginally designed for the 2.4.19 kernel. I just had to swap two lines of
code and it worked.

I've only briefly tried the 2.6.x series about two weeks ago, trying to figure
out why my linux box kept locking-up about once a day. I didn't even get near
trying the CH Y+P with the new kernel.

I switched back to kernel 2.4.21 after giving up on the old hardware,
replacing the old Athlon 500MHz with an Athlon XP +2400 . Before patching, I
found similar problems as David's describing here for 2.6: Although both the
Yoke and Pedals were listed as USB devices, only the yoke was properly
recognized as a joystick.  After applying the patch, both worked perfectly. I
'll try and create a true 2.4.21-suse patch over the weekend and contribute
it back to the project.

Because I had to chance the original patch just a tiny bit, I was wondering if
it wouldn't be a good idea to add a special "Patch" section to the main
FlightGear download page on the website where people can donload these for
various kernel versions. I haven't even looked at the 2.6.x kernel sources,
so I don't have a clue whether or not they would be patchable.

Cheers,
Durk