On Tuesday 06 Apr 2004 3:22 am, Lee Elliott wrote:
<snip>
> [...]
<snip>
> It's certainly curious.  Using EGLL (London Heathrow) and EGSS (London
> Stanstead) as examples - EGLL is fine but EGSS is about -100ft agl, yet the
> two are only about 30 miles apart and on similar terrain.  Assuming,
> because of the geographical closeness, that the relative terrain and
> airport data come from the same sets, it implies an error in one set of
> data.  People have checked out various airport data and confirmed that they
> seem ok, so it looks like the terrain data is less than consistant

I built 3 arcsec terrain for the UK [1] over the last couple of days using
SRTM data from
ftp://edcsgs9.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/srtm/Eurasia/
and the runways in the current cvs version of runways.dat.gz
I've just checked, and both EGLL and EGSS mesh perfectly with the landsape.

This may or may not be illuminating!
Jonathan

[1]  This is still work in progress.  I'll share it around when it's ready.