Hello Ampere,

I think the only practical way you could have several different
liveries/colour schemes would be to include individual models, each one
textured differently.

If FlightGear had a 'pre-hook' whereby some code could be run before FG
started, then that could be used to copy the specific textures you wanted
over the 'default' texture for the model.  But it doesn't, afaik, so you
can't.

1.  The FG 'standard' is to locate the tip of the nose, excluding any probes,
at the 0,0,0 origin.  This will mean that you will have to offset some of the
camera views so they aim at the approx cg location for the apparent motion to
look right.

2.  1 unit = 1 metre is probably the best thing to do, and works with .AC
format models.  However, the first few models I did were in untextured .3DS
format and iirc, I had to scale them down by 100x and rotate the model by 90
deg about the length axis - i.e. the side view became a top view.

3.  Can't help you here - not tried using it yet.

4.  If another model had the U/C as a separate file, rather like the 3d
instruments, you probably could share parts.  I'm assuming you're thinking
about this to reduce the overhead of having to include an individual model
for each colour scheme, as opposed to using the U/C from a completely
different a/c.

Actually, this approach could work quite well, especially if there isn't a lot
of art work on the wings - you could break the wings down too and call them
in for each different colour scheme, so you would just need different
fuselages and marked wing sections for each model.

5.  You don't need to use textures - depending on the model format, you should
be able to colour specific polygons.  You get better anti-aliasing with
textures though.

I can't help you with any MD-11 details - you'll have to research that
yourself.  If they're in use somewhere near, go and watch them.  If not,
you'll have to look at lots of photos and videos (from the web), and figure
it out yourself.

LeeE