On Fri, 14 May 2004 22:48:19 +0100
"Vivian Meazza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]

<snip>

> I don't recall a jettison function:
> it had to moved to the rear by hand in an emergency. Aerodynamic forces
> tended to keep it closed. There are many stories of pilots only managing to
> escape at the last minute, and I suspect quite a few didn't make it.

I'm fairly certain it existed, at least in later versions. There was also an escape
drill for a jammed canopy:

Undo seat straps.
Crouch on seat with back against canopy.
Push stick forward as hard and sharply as you can.
'You will now be clear of the aircraft' :)

A moot point if the pilot can choose but... I'm fairly sure that on ops and current
displays the canopy was/is closed on take-off, but I may be mistaken. On ops getting
airborne and into the climb as rapidly as possible curtosy of the reduced drag of a
closed canopy would take precedence over safety. <Dreams> It would be nice if the
extra drag 'with the top down' was represented </Dreams>

... ignore me, I'm just remembering a spring day a few years ago, sat on the edge of a
cornfield at the foot of the Downs, late summer sunshine, a lone Spitfire cavorting in
the crystal blue overhead... ...alone in the office watching a Spitfire in the golden
twilight, low level over Farnborough airfield...

Rick