* Josh Babcock -- Thursday 20 May 2004 01:01:
> > On Tuesday 18 May 2004 19:09, Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> > >  http://members.aon.at/mfranz/tach.mp  (1.9kB)

[instrument faces created with MetaPost]
> Ok, this stuff looks really cool, but I am encountering a pretty steep learning
> curve with MetaPost.  Does someone out there want to cook up a generic template
> with plug-in values for all the variables and enough documentation that someone
> can just pick it up and go?

Just take one of the two presented *.mp files, add a new instrument ("beginfig"
or, in my case, "begininstrument") and add some drawing commands. They are pretty
self-explaining. Then run the file through MetaPost:

  $ mpost foo.mp                                 # may be called metapost
  $ for i in foo.*; do convert $i $i.png; done

Writing templates wouldn't make sense. It would be like writing a template for
poems. The language isn't hard to understand (at least the parts that we used).
The documentation that comes with MetaPost is sufficient -- look in
/usr/share/texmf/doc/metapost/base/ or wherever your TeX dir is). Ask if you
have problems. Here's a short tutorial:

z0=(2,3);          % define coordinate, can also be written as  x0=2; y0=3;
drawdot z0;        % draw a dot, obviously at z0      (draw works, too)
draw z0--z1;       % draw a straight line between from z0 to z1
draw z0..z1..z2;   % draw a smooth line through the points
z0=z1 rotated 30;  % does what it says it does  ;-)

m.