Corrubia, Stacie K wrote:

Thank you for the quick reply!

Is a circle with a 4.5mi radius small enough to model without bogging down the system?
 We have a NVIDIA Quadro FX 1000 video graphics card.

The answer to this really depends on your texture / dem resolution.

So I should be able to bring in my high resolution imagery and be able to orient it
and place it at the correct Lat/Lon?  Great!

There is a tool in the terragear suite called "photo" which can be used to "cut" a photo or texture into the scenery. In the same subdirectory there is a perl script called "chop.pl" which can chop larger textures down into sub pieces that are within a card's maximum texture size (probably on the order of 4096x4096 for your card.)

The scenery tutorial seemed to cover DEMs and vector maps but not imagery files and
their placement.  Are they handled in the same way?

It's similar. The basic ideas is that you run the various "prep" tools to chop up and place the data in the correct intermediate format. The you run the "fgfs-construct" utility to assemble all the pieces of a particular tile. There are also some wrapper scripts for leveraging multiple machines to build a lot of tiles quickly.

The GIS software I have available is pretty flexible in terms of output formats so I hope to create georegistered products directly compatible with the Flight Gear environment.

On another note is there a way to maintain object annotations (i.e. oak tree, brick building, concrete road, etc) within the system?

Our scene graph allows you to name any sub branch. Most of the 3d object loaders preserve any of these labels that are stored in the 3d file. That may or may not be helpful depending on what you want to do with these labels at run time.

Regards,

Curt.

Unique text: 2f585eeea02e2c79d7b1d8c4963bae2d