From: Jon Stockill [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 25 May 2004 15:31
To: FlightGear developers discussions
Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] Georegistered imagery

Corrubia, Stacie K wrote:
> Is it possible to bring in either raw or TIFF imagery to the flight
> gear environment? The imagery has been georegistered and is part of a
> set of stereo pair images used to create 3-D models and DEMs.  Can
> the imagery data (as well as 3-models and high resolution DEMs (3
> meter DEMs) be overlaid on an existing lower resolution dataset
> already  in the environment?

Now I've stopped drooling and repeatedly saying "3 meters!" I'll reply
:-)

All the flightgear scenery is preprocessed using the tools available
at www.terragear.org. If you're wanting to create high resolution
scenery then this is where you'll need to start. There's a tutorial
here:

http://www.terragear.org/docs/scenery-tutorial/fg-scenery-tutorial.html

That will cover the basics. The code for the positioning of photographic

images is very under-developed, and not really in a usable state yet. It

can be made to work reasonably effectively but imposes a very high load
on the graphics subsystem as flightgear does not yet support texture
paging.

--
Jon Stockill