Roger Andreassen wrote:

Sorry to barge in, I have to strange ones: ENDU and ENNK. Has the above mention something to do with these?

A big part of the problem with these is that the underlying DEM data is probably not very good for these areas. There is a lot of elevation change in the terrain data over the surface of the airport and that is hard to deal with cleanly. Also, mix in that we flatten oceans and do a bit of massaging of river elevations to try to avoid them running up and down hills. This sometimes mixes badly if a river or stream incorrectly runs through the airport area due to lack of precision in the stream data. I'd like to handle these cases better in the future, but it will take some work and some thought.

Again, I'm being selfish by keeping it domestic: I miss Bodø and Svalbard (Longyearbyen), ENBD and ENSB respectively. Is an airport gone in Robin's database does it mean there's no chance to output the scenery?

If these are incorrectly missing in his database (especially if they previouisly existed) then please email Robin. He should be due for another data release soon, although I don't know how his own schedule or time constraints are these days.

If it's in early stages I'd like to air ideas as they pop up. Thanks for the time and effort put into this, just *wow*.

Feel free, ideas are easy.  I can always ignore the one's I don't like. :-)

Does anyone know how this compares to MS Flightsim's scenery? I know that for the Norwegian fjords they have to build "stairs" near mountains, that means in the bottom of a fjord the sealevel was at 300 ft in the old days (gone days). I know FlighGear is different but just how different, to a non-geek like me. :-)

We force oceans to be zero elevation and make the surrounding scenery fit. This usually works pretty well with few artifacts.

For what it's worth, the new high quality 3-arcsec SRTM data covers the southern part of norway, but not the northern part. I'm not sure where the cut off is, but there was a limit in how far north the shuttle orbit took them.

Regards,

Unique text: 2f585eeea02e2c79d7b1d8c4963bae2d