Curtis L. Olson wrote:

Here's something I think would be handy:

Build some offline tool that could load a couple thousand (lat, lon) pairs, then return a list of flightgear scenery elevations for all those
points. It would have to traverse the input list of points and load the corresponding scenery tiles and do the ground intersection. Probably some attention should be paid to minimizing tile loads.

That's pretty much what I had in mind - something like calc-tile.pl, but with the ability to retrieve the scenery and find the ground elevation.

Unfortunately I'm a sysadmin who likes playing with geodata, not a programmer.

--
Jon Stockill