I want to get a good idea of what the appropriate way to make scenery objects is from the perspective of detail vs performance and general usability. If anyone can answer any of these questions or provide learned opinions, please do:

It looks to me like once FG finds a directory for a tile set, it never looks for any more data for that area (eg w078n40). Is it possible for me to create a dev directory containing just objects to be placed and a .stg file to place them and not override any pre-existing .stg files for that area? I want to develop an area without interfering with any of the default towers in the new data set. If not, I can rig up a Makefile that will merge my data with whatever it finds and put that into the production directory for my scenery, separate from the base scenery directory.

How do I animate an object based on the LOD distances defined in the preferences.xml file? If this is not possible, is there a way to make LOD select animations work differently based on user prefs or how powerful the computer that is running fgfs is? What would good high and low LOD distances be based on object size? I would like to have as much detail as possible without killing performance, but this is dependent on the user's machine.

What would be good poly counts and texture sizes for low and high LOD models of individual objects? Same for autogen objects?

I know that those last two groups really depend a lot on the machine running fgfs, but I would still like to get a good idea of what makes sense beforehand so that if I make a set of models for a city they will be consistent.

Josh