David Megginson wrote:
Josh Babcock wrote:

What would be good poly counts and texture sizes for low and high LOD models of individual objects? Same for autogen objects?

Most of the time, buildings on the screen use up only a tiny number of pixels. I often do buildings with 5 quads and a 64x64 texture, but even that much texture is too much sometimes.

A city with a lot of simple buildings will look much more realistic than a city with only a few highly-detailed buildings. I don't think there's any consumer hardware out there yet that could handle, say 300,000 or more buildings for a big city, so the same point applies no matter what you're running.

All the best,

David

Hmm, well, I think I'll concentrate on landmarks first anyway, for VFR. Looking at the Models/Buildings directory though I can see that I would have to add lots of little 5 poly buildings. It also occurs to me that there should be a shared texture directory for the Models directory. Lots of call for stuff like light-concrete.rgb or red-brick.rgb or dark-grey-shingle.rgb. There's already some pretty generic sounding texture files in there. Sharing will save disk space as well as texture memory.

Also, when one populates an area with purposely placed buildings, how do they turn off autogen for that area? Is this something that can be done without editing a .btg file? Is FG smart enough to not place autogen objects next to defined ones?

Josh