Josh Babcock wrote:

What would be good poly counts and texture sizes for low and high LOD models of individual objects? Same for autogen objects?

Most of the time, buildings on the screen use up only a tiny number of pixels. I often do buildings with 5 quads and a 64x64 texture, but even that much texture is too much sometimes.

A city with a lot of simple buildings will look much more realistic than a city with only a few highly-detailed buildings. I don't think there's any consumer hardware out there yet that could handle, say 300,000 or more buildings for a big city, so the same point applies no matter what you're running.

All the best,

David