On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 07:24:21 -0500
"Curtis L. Olson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Chris Metzler wrote:
>>
>> And while asking about the radio towers . . .my (perhaps wrong)
>> understanding is that they come from some sort of FAA obstruction
>> database; that's why some are at locations where large buildings
>> are located in real life.  Is that correct?  If so, why not use the
>> FCC's Antenna Structure Registration database
>> (http://wireless.fcc.gov/antenna/) instead?
>>

> We are actually using the fcc database, however, many of these tall
> buildings and other tall objects have antennas mounted on the top ...

OK, so to make sure I get it, I was incorrect about an FAA obstruction
database being used; you do use the FCC ASR database.  The correlation
with tall buildings is simply because some (most?) tall buildings have
antennae on the top.  Is this right?  If so, are their altitudes simply
set to ground level?  Are the antenna heights used determined by the
height of building + antenna?

How reliable are the latlong coordinates in this database?  I recently
modelled a 40-story building I wanted to put in its real-life location;
the latlong I'd dug up for the building didn't match any of the antenna
locations, so I didn't know what to substitute for.

> there will need to be further work in this area ...

What work have you already thought of that needs to be done?  I'm
trying to come up with scenery stuff to contribute these days; but I'm
also interested in hearing about problems that need to be solved that
don't involve lots of C++ coding (since I dunno how).

Presumably some of the work involves figuring out stuff like this:

http://www.speakeasy.org/~cmetzler/aerial_aerial.jpg

-c

                (remove "snip-me." to email)