On 9/17/04 at 2:04 PM John Wojnaroski wrote:

> [...]
On
>the FG side all you need is something to send a text string over the
>socket.
>Something like FGVoice::fg_say_mesg("this is a test"); There are a couple
>of
>good examples in the /examples/ directory which I used to create a
>"atc_net_demo.cpp" application.
>
>The voice recognition is just as easy (actually easier to set up) but
>training the model, building the Acoustic model, and the dictionary plus
>any
>special phones is a little more envolved. If you don't mind a bit of a
>delay
>(around 2-3 sec) to decode the audio, you can use the existing models and
>get pretty good results. The resultant text string is sent to the AI
>controller where it is parsed into tokens and analyzed(compiled?).
>
>I'm not sure how all of this would fit into FG. I suspect the easiest way
>would be to create a voice object and a few methods and leave it up to the
>individual user if they want to setup the TTS festival package or ASR
>programs.

This all sounds very exciting, especially the encouraging results from the
voice recognition stage, and the fact that Jon thinks that Festival 2 is
sounding pretty good.  Could you send me the code you've got so far for
sending strings across to FG?

I'm a bit unclear which parts you are actually working on.  Are you working
on the decoding of the speech to text-strings only so far, or have you
actually started on logically decoding the text strings for ATC-AI?  This
is the part I'm currently in deep thought about.

A few random thoughts.  Speech recognition for ATC ought to be easier than
the general case, since the smaller vocabulary ought to mean that better
guesses can be made, if this sort of thing can be specified to the ASR
engine.

Having it on another PC could be nice from the point of view that the
engine sound from the FG PC can come from the speakers - with ATC from the
TTS/ASR PC put though headphones to fairly realistically simulate the real
environment.

I guess eventually this support could be optionally compiled into FG as
well.

Cheers - Dave