On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 00:01:04 -0400, Ampere K. Hardraade
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Now days, I am using a different method.  Say I want to model a pentagon: I
> will load the drawing in Gimp or Paintbrush, and measure the coordinates of
> the five corners in pixel.  After that, I will open 3D Studio, create fiver
> vertices at the aformention coordinates and connect them with lines... and
> voila, I have a pentagon.

My approach is fairly similar, except that I often use paper instead.
At first, I wanted to try tracing, but it never works out well --
instead, I print the three-view (blown up a bit if necessary) then
take a known measurement, like the wingspan, and figure out how many
millimeters on the 3-view represent one meter in real life.  After
that, I usually start with wireframe squares and actually set the
coordinates based on measurements from the 3-view.  It goes
surprisingly fast (I start with a cross section of the fuselage, and
then extrude it as necessary).

All the best,

David

--