David Megginson wrote:

My approach is fairly similar, except that I often use paper instead. At first, I wanted to try tracing, but it never works out well --
instead, I print the three-view (blown up a bit if necessary) then
take a known measurement, like the wingspan, and figure out how many
millimeters on the 3-view represent one meter in real life. After
that, I usually start with wireframe squares and actually set the
coordinates based on measurements from the 3-view. It goes
surprisingly fast (I start with a cross section of the fuselage, and
then extrude it as necessary).

When I was working on the C99 flight model and trying to input dimensions into the YASim config file I discovered that gimp has a handy measurement tool where you can draw a line on the screen and it will tell you length in pixels. I came up with a pixel to meters conversion factor. Pretty similar to your approach, but if you have the image on the computer all ready it might save a bit of time.

Curt.

Unique text: 2f585eeea02e2c79d7b1d8c4963bae2d