Adam Dershowitz wrote:

From: Arthur Wiebe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:41:58 -0500
To: FlightGear developers discussions <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] Re: FlightGear on Mac OS X

After setting two environment variables I was able to get simgear
0.3.7 to compile without any problems.

In bash you would set them like this:
export CFLAGS=-I/usr/X11R6/include
export CXXFLAGS=-I/usr/X11R6/include

And I built plib 1.8.3 with help from the diffs you sent but building
from CVS worked for me without any patching.

I guess that means that the appropriate patches are already in the plib CVS, just not yet released.

Now FlightGear itself is another story. I had to upgrade automake in
order to run the autogen.sh script successfully.

That is very strange, because I did not have to. I wonder what is different about our setups?

I have not yet got FlightGear 0.9.6 to compile. Keep on getting:

-lplibfnt -lplibul -framework GLUT -framework OpenGL -framework AGL
-framework Carbon -lobjc
ld: Undefined symbols:
fntTexFont::load(char const*, unsigned int, unsigned int)
make[2]: *** [layout-test] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

What is also strange is that I can get FG to compile, up to the final link
stage. I think that is the same problem that you are having, but we are
getting different Undefined symbols. Mine seem to be from stuff that I have
already built (plib).

Did you build plib with the same version of the compiler you are using to build everything else? Different compilers (and compiler versions) can do the c++ name munging differently which can result in undefined symbols at link time. At compile time, the compiler just reads the <file>.h, but at link time it tries to match up requested functions with anything in any of the specified libraries. But if the library is compiled with a different version of the compiler, the requested symbol might not match the published symbols in the library and so things end up not being resolved at the link phase.

Curt.