Martin Spott writes:

> "Norman Vine" wrote:
>
> > I would suggest adding them to a PostGIS database which when
> > appropriately indexed has *quick* respones.
> > http://postgis.refractions.net
>
> Is there a converter which generates SQL-scripts for PostGIS similar to
> 'shp2pgsql' ?

see ogr2ogr utility that comes with GDAL
to convert from tiger to shape

> > Note mapserver is easy to set up to serve PostGIS data
> > http://mapsereg.gis.umn.edu either interactively or as a WMS
> > image server i.e  georeferenced textures could be served
> > directly to an application
>
> I was thinking in a similar direction (serving roads, rivers, railways,
> lakes and airports from a database) but as I understand, PostGIS
> doesn't store raster data, only 2D geometries. Right ?

Maybe not directly but ....  PostGRES can store BLOBS and
PostGIS tables are extendable so ...
One just needs to add an appropriate BLOB pointer to a polygon
or
You could jsut store a filename in a field for the appropriate image file
to use as the texture

Note a schema can be extended to add texture coordinates etc
for the polygon if this kind of thing is desired too :-)

The thing to remember is that PostGIS is just a normal PostGRES
extension module so you still have the power of a general purpose
relational DB to use.

HTH

Norman