One thing to be concerned about is that pinging your broadcast address may not
be as meaningful as you'd like.  Pinging 224.0.0.1 will probably yield the same
results, as all multicast aware computers should respond to a ping at that
address.

I don't use multicast very much, in fact I try to avoid it when possible.
Broadcast packets tend to live too long on a network (as long as standard
unicast messages, which almost got me into trouble once...).  Since I don't use
broadcast, I'm not sure why you are getting an error binding to the broadcast
address.

Jonathan Polley

On Thursday, December 09, 2004, at 03:38PM, John Wojnaroski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> [...]

Of COURSE they can do that.  They're engineers!