On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:43:53 +0100
Richard Andrews wrote:

> This is the same sort of idea I had been toying with. As a newbie to fg I
> felt
> that one tool that would be very handy would be a form of Linux QT
> FG-launcher. It would simply generate the appropriate config file from the
> users selections (--aircraft etc) and then launch fg with the newly generated
> config. This could make fgfs suddenly more approachable to new users.

Have you had a look at fgrun ? It works in exactly the way you've just
described.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fgrun/

Source only so far (except for windows), but maybe it's time to make
some binary packages for other systems as well. I believe the Windows
FlightGear package actually includes fgrun. The toolkit used is fltk
(http://fltk.org/), available for at least Windows, Linux and MacOS X.
Other systems might be supported, as fltk is OpenGL-based although I
haven't paid much attention to reports of it working on these other
systems (*BSD, IRIX, Solaris, etc.).

I'm pretty sure that quite a few Linux / UNIX users would like to
benefit from the fgrun interface. They might not be aware that it exists
at all...

Here are a few ideas:

- we could extend fgrun (to add such features as flight planning, AI
objects editing),

- we could create another app, which would be meant to communicate with
FlightGear in realtime (probably via the telnet interface), something
more elaborate than the http interface, in the same way that fgrun does
for command-line options

- in any case, it would be best to make sure that FG is able to change
aircraft (FDM, 3D model, systems) on the fly, because that is probably
the only start-up-time setting that can't be changed so far once
FlightGear is running.

--
Jorge Van Hemelryck