I did look into the tip-shape quite a bit.

The tips on the 172P do actually curve downwards - apparently to reduce the
tendency to slip.

However, I think the leading edge may be turned down too far which is
something I can correct; I just need to find a good photo of the tip
close-up.

Cheers for having a look :-)