On Wednesday, 29 December 2004 21:16, Curtis L. Olson wrote:
> Spreading it out over a couple minutes should
> be fine (although we may want to impose a maximum rate of change of
> things like visibility.)

However if someone fires up a Mach 10 prototype they may arrive at the new
METAR station with the weather still similar to the previous METAR station.
e.g. It may have only changed by 30% by the time they arrive at a new METAR
station if the rate of change is too slow.

> Also we need to figure out how to interpolate
> different cloud layers and coverages.  We could fade out the old layers
> and fade in the new?  Or slowly move layers?  Or some combination
> depending on how different the old weather is from the new?  Lot's of
> fun to be had if someone had the time to play with it ...

Personally I think the best way is to actually build new 3D cloud layers in
"transitional zones" that are based on an interpolation of the METARS.
Fading works but does not look very good - just try it out in FUIII and MSFS
to see what I mean.

Interestingly enough MS still haven't figured out a way to transition between
weather systems nicely and a lot of FS2004 fans hate the way it works at the
moment. It's supposed to fade in/out but the transitions are sometimes so
quick (METAR stations packed close together) that there's a *flash* and a
50km long cloud front just vanished.  :)

It's encouraging - in a mildly sadistic sort of way - to see other people
battling with the same issues.  :P

Paul