"Curtis L. Olson" wrote:
> Arnt Karlsen wrote:

>>..what am I doing wrong here?  patch -p1 < never failed me even
>>when the kernel said use " patch -p0 < ".

The '-p<something>'-switch is not for arbitrary parameters, it has some
real sense  :-)  Please have a look at the manpage, it doesn't make
sense for me to rephrase what's already written there.

> I rarely manage to get the patch util to work [perfectly] which is one
> reason I like to avoid it.  Inevitably, something has changed somewhere
> which causes an odd hunk or two to fail ...

This is why I like 'patch' so much: It gives you a measure to determine
if you have further difficulties to fear. If you deal with complete
files then some small changes might slip in and you probably never
notice,

Martin.