You can also lower the quality of PNG image as well as up the
compression level. Doing so can make PNG's smaller than JPEG's.

For example a top quality JPEG has a larger file size than a best quality PNG.

So I don't know what you use to create the PNG's but you should be
able to edit these settings.

<Arthur/>
- http://artooro.blogspot.com  (Weblog)
- http://machcms.sourceforge.net  (MachCMS Project)