On Wednesday 19 January 2005 17:25, Curtis L. Olson wrote:
> Durk Talsma wrote:
> >Another thought: There are some other hangar pages out there like the ones
> >made by David Culp and Wolfram Kuss. Would it be an idea to add a link to
> >these pages at the bottom of the aircraft download page?
> >
> >Presumably we can't merge these pages due to licence incompatibilities...
>
> Sure, if someone can send me current links and if those pages are
> currently maintained, I'll definitely link to them from the aircraft
> download page.
>
> Curt.

Personally i think that it is not a good idea to advertise aircrafts for
FlightGear that are not free.

Here's the reason why:
Advertising none free aircrafts or scenery addons on the flightgear website
could lead to  a common behaviour that people tend to not release their
aircrafts or addons  under the GPL license when other more restrictive ways
like simple Freeware licenses are possible and accepted.

This has also many other disadvantages like:

- you can't modify or correct the aircrafts, scenery addons etc.
- aircrafts and scenery addons might get outdated or incompatible to newer
versions of FlightGear
- users are forced to collect their aircrafts and scenery addons from
different places, which is a bad thing, because it is extremly cumbersomely
and annoying.  MS Flight Simulator people know what i am talking about.
FlightGear should make use of the fact that it is open source, it allows users
to get everything in one piece without the hassle to visit hundreds of
different websites.
- the amount of GPL'd flightgear data like aircrafts and scenery would grow
slower when simple freeware addons are okay and linked to on the flightgear
website.

That's why i think we should refuse to advertise none GPL'd aircrafts and
scenery addons for flightgear on the flightgear website.

BTW:
I saw that there is a GPL'd Boeing 707 and Raytheon T-6A Texan II
on Dave's hangar website, could these two aircrafts be added to the main
flightgear website and ftp servers?
http://home.comcast.net/~davidculp2/hangar/hangar.html

Best Regards,
 Oliver C.