On Wednesday 19 January 2005 17:21, Oliver C. wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 January 2005 17:25, Curtis L. Olson wrote:
> > Durk Talsma wrote:
> > >Another thought: There are some other hangar pages out
> > > there like the ones made by David Culp and Wolfram Kuss.
> > > Would it be an idea to add a link to these pages at the
> > > bottom of the aircraft download page?
> > >
> > >Presumably we can't merge these pages due to licence
> > > incompatibilities...
> >
> > Sure, if someone can send me current links and if those
> > pages are currently maintained, I'll definitely link to them
> > from the aircraft download page.
> >
> > Curt.
>
> Personally i think that it is not a good idea to advertise
> aircrafts for FlightGear that are not free.
>
> Here's the reason why:
> Advertising none free aircrafts or scenery addons on the
> flightgear website could lead to  a common behaviour that
> people tend to not release their aircrafts or addons  under
> the GPL license when other more restrictive ways like simple
> Freeware licenses are possible and accepted.
>
> This has also many other disadvantages like:
>
> - you can't modify or correct the aircrafts, scenery addons
> etc. - aircrafts and scenery addons might get outdated or
> incompatible to newer versions of FlightGear
> - users are forced to collect their aircrafts and scenery
> addons from different places, which is a bad thing, because it
> is extremly cumbersomely and annoying.  MS Flight Simulator
> people know what i am talking about. FlightGear should make
> use of the fact that it is open source, it allows users to get
> everything in one piece without the hassle to visit hundreds
> of different websites.
> - the amount of GPL'd flightgear data like aircrafts and
> scenery would grow slower when simple freeware addons are okay
> and linked to on the flightgear website.
>

> That's why i think we should refuse to advertise none GPL'd
> aircrafts and scenery addons for flightgear on the flightgear
> website.
>

> BTW:
> I saw that there is a GPL'd Boeing 707 and Raytheon T-6A Texan
> II on Dave's hangar website, could these two aircrafts be
> added to the main flightgear website and ftp servers?
> http://home.comcast.net/~davidculp2/hangar/hangar.html
>

> Best Regards,
>  Oliver C.

I've got to disagree with you regarding linking to non-GPL'd
aircraft.  The best a/c I've seen for M$FS have been done by
people who want to ensure that their work remains free (as in
free beer) but also want to make sure that their work isn't
exploited by commercial organisations.  Some people also like to
include non-violence conditions.

Personally, while I'm happy with the protection that the GPL
gives me with regard to credit for the work and the lack of
control over the work once released under the license, I can't
criticise the people who don't want to give up that control.

Just for the record, I wouldn't have any problems about linking
to pay-ware either.  No one is forcing anyone to buy anything,
so it's take it or leave it.

I think the GPL is great for many things but if applied to
everything exclusively it becomes a tool of force and people can
no longer do what they want.

LeeE