Curtis L. Olson wrote:
Arnt Karlsen wrote:

..Curt, I need an idea of how much cpu work, building the scenery, is. What kinda machine(s) did you use, and how long did it take to build
the scenery?

I haven't timed the latest builds real close, but figure if you throw a couple machines at it in parallel, it's going to take you at least a full 7 days (x 24 hours) to do the final assembly and crunching. This doesn't include any of the data prep work (which could take weeks if you start from scratch), nor does it include the airport model generation which takes a day or so. And of course this doesn't count any of the time you need to spend sitting down and sorting through tile build problems (or other bugs/missing features) that you haven't gotten around to looking at yet.

That pretty much ties in with what I found last time I tried - 3 machines of assorted specs took about a week to generate the scenery tiles from the pre-processed scenery in the work directory. The real problem is the sheer volume of data you're working with.

Jon