On 4 May 2005, at 21:39, Melchior FRANZ wrote:

It opens the window (with splash image if configured) as soon as possible,

and does all the other initializaion in the idle loop, split up into

appropriate chunks. The patch does basically only shuffle parts around,

without changing the order of initialization or removing anything. It is

tested with glut & sdl, with and without /sim/startup/splash-screen and

/sim/sceneryloaded-override.

Minor partial objection - the Mac startup is dog slow (like 90 seconds to get to a usable plane in the C172 and SFO), and I think at least part of the problem is the 'init while idle' scheme - FG wastes too much time doing rendering type things when I'd be happier to have it be 'frozen' but take half the time.

I think the fix for this could be as simple as a render flag that disables the entire scene graph and replaces with a dummy scene (black screen + progress bar?) while some property is set.

Ah, wait ... does this affect tile-loading and hence hit-testing and hence ground-trimming?

Anyway, I am nervous of changes that do yet more stuff in the idle callback, because I think it's a bit starved for time.

H&H
James

--

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think “I know, I’ll use regular expressions.” Now they have two problems.