Yes, that is what I tried: importing the wrl file. But in vain. The
file version is VRML V2.0 utf8 and is not recognised by AC3D.

So one of the guys in the team has created a new model from scratch,
using 3dstudio and we now have 2 versions:
- high quality model (~ 5000 polygons) saved as .3ds
- low quality model (~  640 polygons) also saved as .3ds

I have imported both into AC3D and saved them as .ac (I think
flightgear prefers that format) and it works!!!
HOWEVER.... I am now faced with a new problem....

--> How do you center the model on the flight dynamics coordinates?
The model is offset by quite a bit and I have tried editing the xml
file but with no success:

<offsets>
  <heading-offset-deg>180</heading-offset-deg>
  <x-offset-m>+30</x-offset-m>
  <y-offset-m>+0</y-offset-m>
  <z-offset-m>+1.5</z-offset-m>
 </offsets>

Does this script go in the aircraft-set.xml or the model.xml file?
Thanks for your help!

--
Sam Heyman
Ryds Allé 13.109