On Monday 14 November 2005 15:01, Stefan Seifert wrote:
> Vassilii Khachaturov wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm sure you meant /usr/share/FlightGear/... and not /var.
> >
> > I thought /var because of the indeterministic size --- some folks will
> > terrasync only a small local area, some will more...
>
> terrasync is another story, which is no problem through giving
> FlightGear two scenery paths.
>
> Additionally no one should run terrasync as root anyway, so it can't
> write to /var/share/FlightGear. terrasync users should have their own
> scenery directory in their homes or anywhere their user is able to write.
>
> Nine

I agree.

User data (like from terrasync) belong to ~./local/share/FlightGear
or ~./flightgear/

When using the latter one, we could also start to put the .fgfsrc config file
into ~./flightgear/
The preferenced.xml file should also belong there, because it is user specific
and the user should allways be able to edit it.

A system wide global installation should put the scenery into
/usr/share/FlightGear/scenery or /usr/local/share/FlightGear/scenery (for a
distribution independent installation)
That's what FHS proposes/dictate.

If we want to keep consistency like Curt proposes,
then we should put everything into /usr/local/games/FlightGear/

The reason is, in /usr/local/games we can have our own directory for
everything (data, scripts, binarys etc.,).
In /usr/local/games/ there is no need to spread everything around over the
system.
BTW, an alternative to /usr/local/games would be /opt/

Best Regards,
 Oliver C.