> I noticed that on one of your FG pages you mentioned that OpenGL can have
> a maximum of 8 light sources. Presumably this is going to cause some dull
> rendering issue if we ever had landing lights enabled in a mult-plane
> environment?

Good point. Perhaps the non-local models should have a luminous fake light
like the other lights in fg for this reason. In the real life you don't
see others' landing lights light cones unless you taxi by while they
land or smth like that.

> Finally, on a more practical note, I assume that landing lights work a bit
> like car headlamps - i.e. you switch them on during landing and they
> illuminate the runway infront of your so you can see when to flare?

In traffic congested areas, e.g., when approaching an airport, one
is encouraged to switch the landing light on for being seen better,
even during daytime. I'd call this the main actual purpose
of the landing light.
(The positional lights, OTOH, have no practical use in daylight).

When landing (I'm talking about light planes here), the landing lights
are good for barely illuminate several tens of meters in front of you.
Pilots are trained to land on lighted runways without the use of
the landing lights (by using peripheral vision and the runway perimeter
lighting to judge the depth).

Vassilii