Hi,

thinking more about the issue and trying to get some distance to the "whohoo!"-attitude of some of the CLOD-papers I read in the last weeks, I'm more and more coming back to the conclusion "simple is beautiful".

Perhaps we'd be best off slicing our tiles into subtiles - without essentially changing the layout of scenery directories, just the format of the .btg.gz-files - and provide several statically reduced versions of these subtiles. One approach I'm tempted to view as reasonable is described in [1].

However, this would result in increased storage requirements for scenery. As it was mentioned yesterday, full scenery already takes 13Gb compressed, some of the 10x10 tiles are already well over 50MB and our detailed 3x3 degree South Germany scenery is already at over 20MB compressed. I suspect that further increasing scenery size is calling for trouble.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Ralf

[1] http://number-none.com/product/Unified%20Rendering%20LOD,%20Part%201/index.html