On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 12:05:28 -0400, Tony wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On 6/12/06, Martin Spott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Justin Smithies wrote:
> > On the other hand I was told that certain people didn't care about
> > licensing and hacked the VATSIM authentication protocol
>
> for reference ...
>
> http://news.com.com/Blizzard+wins+lawsuit+on+video+game+hacking/2100-1047_3-5845905.html
>
> is VATSIM gonna sue flightgear.org for reverse engineeing a
> *protocol*?

..with the usual GrokLaw disclaimers: This here is legal:
"The defendants in the case, Ross Combs and Rob Crittenden,
reverse-engineered the Blizzard protocol using tools like "tcpdump" to
listen to the software's communications with a game server. Eventually,
their "bnetd" project let Blizzard games connect with unofficial
servers, yielding benefits like faster response times. "

..if you do _not_ pull idiot stunts like this one here:
"The 8th Circuit also cited a contractual agreement that Combs and
Crittenden OK'd when installing Blizzard software.
That agreement prohibits reverse-engineering."

> > in this case, it certainly isn't an issue of "preventing piracy".

..correct, this case was about enforcing a contract, "that agreement."

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: