Hi all,

I'm not sure if these kind of auctions we've been noticing are real GPL
violations.
This one doesn't make any note of the fact that "their" simulator is
Free Software.
And it doesn't mention the GPL nor that the source is available - which
is a violation in my opinion.

Nevertheless, what bugs me on these auctions is not that they are making
money with FG (if they are?).
It's actually they way they do it, since most of these free-riders are
trying to trick potential customers to believe FG was a commercial
flight sim.
An they're clearly making misleading statements about the features (e.g.
the screenshot of the landing on San Jose).

So, to make an end to this kind of deception, why don't we display a
small message on the start-up screen like this:

FlightGear is free software and distributed under the terms of the GPL .
Visit us at http://www.flightgear.org

That way we make a clear statement where the software originates.
If we hard-code it, the average "reseller" won't be able to change it.
And if he does we have something to clearly prove a violation (if we had
a copy).

Actually the fact that people are trying to market FlightGear actually
is the best proof of how sophisticated and professional FG has become.
Take it as a compliment to all the developers who put so much effort in
this great simulator.
And maybe we can learn a bit on "marketing" from these people, too?

Just my 2 cents,

Mark