For "wing bending" the Ornithopter used an interesting approach to model the
flapping wing animation.  That used 'traditional' animation techniques where
the aircraft had the wing drawn in several different positions and then the
animation system cycled through them giving the appearance of complex
flapping motion.

Curt.

On 12/2/06, AJ MacLeod wrote:

On Saturday 02 December 2006 18:39, Ampere K. Hardraade wrote:
> > As much as I know geometry deformation animations have not been
> > implemented in any other simulator. Of course, that needs a way to
morph
> > the geometry of 3d objects which is currently not available inside
FGFS,
> > will that be possible in the near future?
> It is available if I remember correctly.  I think the Lightning has it
for
> the implementation of the drag shute.

Unfortunately, it doesn't, yet.  There was talk of a morph animation with
plib
at one stage but nothing more... I believe that should be possible with
OSG
but we'll have to wait for the more urgent features to be reinstated
first.

As to the wing bending... it certainly has been done before, I believe in
Silent Wings.

Also "Rigs of Rods", built on OGRE, features a fully deforming aircraft
(Antonov of some sort IIRC) along with the trucks which it focusses on.

Cheers,

AJ

Curtis Olson - University of Minnesota - FlightGear Project
http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt/  http://www.humanfirst.umn.edu/
http://www.flightgear.org
Unique text: 2f585eeea02e2c79d7b1d8c4963bae2d