On 7/15/07, Melchior FRANZ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> * Stefan Seifert -- Sunday 15 July 2007:
> > The largest open source project with thousands of developers, namely the
> > Linux kernel itself does not have the slightest idea of a road map, even
> > though most of the developers are in fact paid to work on it. And it
> > works pretty well.
>
> Exactly.
>
>   I'm not so much a leader, I'm more of a shepherd.
>   Now all the kernel developers will read that and say,
>   "He's comparing us to sheep." It's more like herding cats.
>                                       -- Linus TORVALDS

Which brings me to a thought I had the other day. I often hear "that's
not my area, I don't want to step on so-and-so's toes" from
committers, or "I'm waiting for so-and-so to comment on it". Sometimes
so-and-so says nothing (maybe he's busy, maybe he missed it, maybe he
had nothing to add) and things fall on the floor.

In any case, it seems that it would be in all cases more efficient to
go straight to the person "in charge" of the area of the code in
question when preparing patches.

I think FlightGear could do well with a MAINTAINERS file, like what
the kernel has. So if John Q. Newbie is preparing a patch to weather,
or radios, or gui, or whatever - he'll know who to consult and
approach for the best improvement of the project.

There is AUTHORS, which points to Thanks, which was last updated in
2005 and isn't well-suited for the purpose anyway, and I don't see
anything else. I could easily have missed something like this, and if
it exists already I'd love to know where it is.