More on turbulence. At least in the copy of JSBSim.cxx that I have there is
this code in "Copy_to_JSBSim":

    tmp = turbulence_gain->getDoubleValue();
    Atmosphere->SetTurbGain(tmp * tmp * 100.0);

    tmp = turbulence_rate->getDoubleValue();
    Atmosphere->SetTurbRate(tmp);

There are two gains that come into play. One is from FlightGear (0.0 to 1.0,
as Dave M. pointed out), and the one eventually sent to JSBSim, which is in
ft/sec. It looks like the one set in JSBSim can vary from 0.0 to 100.0
ft/sec. That is the maximum value expected. That seems high to me.

Today I plotted out some turbulence values in a scripted run using the C172.
That was instructive, and I am making some adjustments.

Jon