On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, Pietro wrote:

> and Oliver wrote:
>> The server forwards all packets to every directly connected clients
>> (ie. users) and every server it knows about.
>

> I agree with 'the nature of the beast', as LeeE stated. Server acting as
> mery packet relay can't do more.
> Server should act as packet filtering relay, for ex. if I'm flying over south
> Italy, all San Francisco zone traffic info are of no interest for me. So
> IMHO we need no universal servers but zone servers. Theoretically if
> no player connected to Europe zone server is flying over North America and
> no player connected to North America zone server is flying over Europe,
> these two servers have no need to communicate each other.

The mpservers already do a simple form of distance based filtering:

1. Server to directly connected clients:
    An mpserver only relay data to (its local) clients within 50nm of the
    source.

2. Inter-server relaying.
    Data from a local client is only relayed at full speed to those
    mpservers that have clients within 50nm of the source.
    The data feed to other mpservers is reduced to about one packet per
    second (the rest from that client are not relayed).
    The reduced rate relay is need to keep all mpservers informed about
    all players.

Of course, since nearly all MP activity occurs with 50nm of KSFO these
measures have a limited effect. But still, mpserver06 has a much lower
bandwidth usage than e.g. 02 thanks to few local clients and this scheme.

Cheers,

Anders