Tim Moore wrote :
> Frederic Bouvier wrote:
> > Hi Tim,
> >
> > Tim Moore wrote :
> >> This code did survive the OSG port, but was removed in a later
> >> reorganization of  the tile loading code. It's easy enough
> >> to put this back in, but the old code would add the local
> >> material permanently to the material library; is that really
> >> desired? I would think the local material should get deleted
> >> when the tile is deleted.
> >
> > I tried to restore that code this past weekend but I experienced
> > random access violation when loading the texture. I was wondering
> > if loading textures in the pager thread was legal.
>
> It is legal to load textures from the pager thread, but there might
> now be a problem with adding a material to the material library
> in the pager thread. Is the access violation really "random?"

The crash occurred in the openthread code, and looked like a race
condition or a synchronisation problem. I don't have the details
at hand, but it was never on the same image file.

I tested with a modified version of the Brest scenery, that I hacked
by hand with an HEX editor to add the .dds extension to the material
string.

-Fred

--
Frédéric Bouvier