"Alex Perry" wrote:

> How does it work?  Where is the source code for the serving side of
> the OAM stuff?

As far as I remember there's an SVN link somewhere on the explanatory
pages. Chris is known for doing (almost) every backend stuff in Python,
which typically works - we're successfully using some of his work at
our MapServer site as well ("TileCache" for example).
Nevertheless, when you're doing some quick turns with FlightGear, you
sometimes even face trouble loading the Scenery tiles from the local
disk !! right in time. I wonder how people think they're going to fetch
aerial imagery from a distant network service via HTTP without further
delay ....

These guys that host OAM and our Landcover-DB indeed _do_ serve sort of
a flight simulation with imagery from a remote network service, BUT
they use dedicated servers and they have networking of the sort which
the average user would not even dream of. They use "ossimPlanet" for
integration of OpenSceneGraph with common GIS datasources.

BTW, Alex, this all takes place at Calit2 in SD, which should be pretty
close to you  ;-)

        Martin.