On mardi 11 novembre 2008, Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> * gerard robin -- Tuesday 11 November 2008:
> > A gear with a variable size ?????????
>
> Huh? You suggest to put terrain.nas into CVS, and when you
> get suggestions for how to solve the problems properly, you
> put them all down while ignoring that terrain.nas doesn"t
> fulfill any of your requirements either.
>
> It doesn't support "gear with variable size" (whatever that
> is), it doesn't work for AI aircraft, it is useless for
> determining if an aircraft should sink. (No, a Concorde
> doesn't sink if the nose is above water, as long as the
> tyres aren't.  ;-)

That is not the purpose of the talk, however you should know that with JSBSim
we can animate an control any behavior of any model in any situation, with
only that poor and tricky terrain.nas.
I have been able to demonstrate what can be done   ( Catalina for instance )
and if we want, we could simulate a progressive siking of the Concorde when
the nose is in the water, gear down or gears up.

With gear down it is easy to show that the AC can have the following behavior:
it don't walk on the sea, every model that i have done makes the difference.

In addition to it  there is a drag  when the gear (down) is IN the water , i
remember that Vivian  couldn't take off the Catalina, since the gear were
down.
I may understand that you don't know the JSBSim features/ressources.

On my side i have not found, yet, the limits of what can be done with it.

> So what are you really asking for? A way to find out whether
> a particular coordinate is solid ground or water? Like
> geodinfo()? Which I've written for that purpose?
>
> m.

Coming back to the main topic:
If you try the Rescue Op with the S-51, you will notice that the rope can have
a variable size and can be moved in order to stay vertical ( due to gravity)
it becomes independent of the  helo behavior which can have pitch and roll,
any 'extra' gear defined ( was your proposal) should have the same rope
behaviour.

With AI
 => an hybrid car which goes floating on water or run on wheel
on solid ground, without any acknowledge of which terrain is under (there is
no FDM)

Cheers

--
Gérard
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/GRTux/

J'ai décidé d'être heureux parce que c'est bon pour la santé.
Voltaire