On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 22:03:51 +0200, Pep wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> >> I think I'm missing something from your question. How do who
> >> communicate? FG and IVAO?
> >
> > ..yup, the programs, they must communicate somehow.  Your wrote your
> > own code to do this?
>
> I don't fly FG in IVAO. No one does. If I did, I wouldn't have
> started all this :)

..ah. ;o)  Then we can look forward to you doing this. ;o)

> If you are asking how flight simulators in
> general communicate with IVAO, there are client applications that do
> this: IvAp (for MSFS), Squawkbox (for MSFS, Fly!), X-IvAp (for
> X-Plane), etc. It has to be that way because of these simulators not
> being open source.

..nor GPL.  My understanding is this should happen server side, or
you're tangling with allowed and not work-arounds under the GPL,
and you will be distributing or conveying client apps under some
license.  We all want firm walls around our copyrights here.

> > ..some aren't, agreed, and some combinations _are_ possible, but
> > let's first have IVAO weed out it's litigation traps, e.g. this
> > gem, the last line of §2 in
> > http://www.ivao.aero/rulregs/va-r-r.asp ,  doesn't quite fly with
> > me, obviously IVAO and its Executive Commitee _is_ subject to
> > copyright law and the GPL, if they do anything mentioned in either
> > of these.
>
> This refers only to Virtual Airline registration. However, I'm not
> law expert, cannot add anything else to this respect; perhaps the
> database administrator could explain it.

..ok, I would want IVAO's Executive Commitee explaining
this part of their policy, as it stands now in
http://www.ivao.aero/rulregs/va-r-r.asp, "§2: ...
IVAO will not be responsible of copyright violations.", it
makes no such "database limitation" to IVAO's statement,
which is really a claim in a pre-emptive litigation defense.

..this language rather suggest IVAO wants to not be held
responsible for its potential use of pirated code.
Your Executive Commitee will probably want to clarify this
language to demonstrate it's respect for Copyright Law.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: