On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 6:12 PM, Pep Ribal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> The IVAO team could implement a FlightGear compatible interface into their
>> network.  The work would be done on their servers, but then nothing would
>> need to change on the FlightGear side.  The IVAO team would not need to
>> expose their proprietary communication protocols, but instead would create
>> an implementaion of our open protocols at their side to accept FlightGear
>> connections.  They could create their own proprietary interface to our
>> protocol as long as they don't grab any of our code to do so (or maybe the
> I thought that if we at IVAO don't distribute the GPL software then we can
> use it, modify it and keep it private in our network? Wasn't it stated
> before by Arnt?

Yes, but ...

There is a legal definition associated with "keep it private" which
many software engineers and system administrators will accidentally
fail to comply with ... unless they have careful training or an
existing background in commercial use of GPL free software.  A clean
re-implementation of the protocol will avoid the risk.  Before doing
that, for any specific FGFS source files that you'd like to use in the
IVAO build, you can ask their authors to dual license them as LGPL or
even BSD.  They may agree if you successfully argue that their
benefits from the interoperability outweigh their costs associated
with reduced distribution restrictions.