On 12/31/2008 11:46 PM, Alex Perry wrote:

>>  If you want more
>> detail than the handwave that the AIM contains, go read the FAA
>> technical manual on how to design and deploy LOC antenna arrays ..

Found it.

In such matters, the FAA defers to the ICAO.

http://dcaa.slv.dk:8000/icaodocs/Annex%20X%20-%20Aeronautical%20Telecommunications/Volume%20I%20-%20Radio%20Navigation%20Aids/Vol.1%20-%206th%20Edition,%20July%202006.pdf

See in particular paragraph 3.1.3.7.1.  Basically the rule is 210 m
at threshold, with complex exceptions for short runways.  It never
exceeds 6 degrees full width (peg to peg).  I see absolutely no
mention of any clipping at the low end.

More generally,
  http://dcaa.slv.dk:8000/icaodocs/
is a large trove of authoritative ICAO documents.  I suspect some
people on this list will want to copy the entire tree.