On 01/01/2009 10:05 PM, syd adams wrote:

> I think i assumed long ago that the GS deflection had a limit of -10 to 10
> like the heading-needle-deflection , and so scaled the needle to the
> outermost dot accordingly.

That is not consistent with what is implemented in navradio.cxx

That instrument, and all the CDI instruments I've seen, assume
-3.5 to +3.5 for the glideslope signal.  I have no clue as to
the history or rationale for this, but it is what it is.

> The manual states that in GS mode the vertical scale is in degrees , and
> captures at 0.5 degrees , and I'm assuming (again) , that each dot must
> represent 1 degree, since I havent come across exact numbers yet.In other
> words, my setup could be wrong, I'll have to research this more.

In the Real World, the entire usable part of the glideslope beam
is only 0.7 degrees thick.  Having a scale in degrees would not
be very useful.

====================================

Meanwhile .....  pursuing the other part of this thread ....

I wrote the code to make localizer sensitivity proportional to
runway length, as it is in Real Life, in accordance with ICAO
standards.

I've shot a few approaches with it.

If you fly from KMJX 6R to KJFK 31L there is quite a contrast:
the latter is about two-and-a-half times more sensitive.

I tied the sensitivity into the property tree so you can look
at it and even monkey with it.

The code implements the ICAO standard in some detail, even to
the point of producing slightly odd results for very short
runways e.g. San Diego KMYF (Montgomery Field).