Gerard, you're not getting it : if I want wildfire to spread when I crash a
Crusader, you shouldn't have a say in it, period.
Let me try to explain it from the user's perspective : a user of both the
dev's creation, the simulation, and in this case, your a/c.

I'm the one piloting the Crusader, and running Flight Gear on my machine.
I do no want you or anyone else to make a sneaky change to a global pref, be
it wildfire or anything else.
If I don't want wildfire, I'll turn it off in the global prefs (and
incidentally, if anyone is counting, it's off ;))

It simply makes no sense for you to change my global prefs in one a/c : how
do you know my next session is not wildfire training ? Or that I'm not going
to be filming  a bunch of firefighters in the simulation ?

What's next ? Saving and archiving failures in a an a/c with system wide
effects ?
If I understand this correctly, that means the next time I start the sim,
the fire is off, without any means for me to know so unless I had read about
this here : I'm not your typical user, in that I'm also a professional
software developer and I'm used to fighting with my computer to get things
done, whatever platform I'm using atm.
So I'd look for a solution...

Imagine how "hiding" a global prefs like that in a a/c FDM config files is
going to make it hard for the average user to know what the hell is going on
with his sim : Flight Gear is already very complex, no need to go out of our
way to make it hard for people to use it.

I really don't care for the wildfire feature at this time, because it
doesn't align with my current interests, and I have a problem with
uncontrolled eye candy (the game dev with 5 shipped and 10+ cancelled
projects talks here), but that's another story, and it has more to do with
uncontrolled triangle and texture usage...
But that is one of the great things with FGFS : you can still run in MP
while flying in  your own instance of the world, with its own particular
config.
It's important to realize that making that kind of change within the a/c has
farther ranging effects than you seem to realize.

First impressions are often the only impression (don't I know it ;)), and
this doesn't help a new user to truly gauge the possibilities of the program
if there are plenty of little sneaky settings like that.
It makes FGFS look messy to the outsider, and consumed by petty bickering.

If it's a problem of language, I'll be happy to write this in my native
French :)

Cheers, and keep working on the beautiful Crusader,
Nic

--
Be Kind.
Remember, everyone is fighting a hard battle.