>more likely to re-enforce the neurosis

Sorry- you are annoying!
You call us mentally ill? Better check yourself...
I think we can discuss in an adult way, do we, so no need for defamations!

> It is a sad fact that many people have problems coping with
> some
> events in history, and perhaps the only way that they can
> personally deal with them is by putting them away somewhere
> so that
> they don't have to confront them.  On a personal
> level, this is
> fine, because it only effects the person doing it, but
> trying to
> force everyone else to fit in with their neurosis, for that
> is what
> an inability to cope with reality really is, is plainly
> wrong.  It
> does nothing to help the person come to terms with reality
> and is
> more likely to re-enforce the neurosis, rather than cure
> it.

Sorry, that's a big slap in the face of people like Tat who remember others
that the nuking of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was real, that there hundred
thousands people died in a especially cruel way and people still today suffer
from this....
And this is true for holocaust and other things- still people living who
experienced and suffer from this days....

In fact it is you, who don't want to be remembered what happend in this days
and that it is still on going!

> I find it really difficult that you seriously believe this
> to be
> true.  Re-enactment glorifies nothing because it's not
> real.
> Re-enactment is an excellent method of understanding and
> learning,
> and doesn't just cover tactics and equipment but also gives
> an
> insight into the mindsets of the people and the sort of
> things that
> they would have been thinking at the time.  For
> example, you may be
> able to read about how it felt to be a medieval foot
> soldier facing
> a massed cavalry charge but it won't convey nearly as much
> as
> actually participating in a re-enactment where you'll be
> standing
> on a battlefield confronting real horses.  Both
> historians and
> archeologists find re-enactments incredibly valuable
> because of the
> insight it gives and which puts the tactics and equipment
> in
> context.

Ah- you want me to tell, those kids play their event for studying the real
history? Want to find out how it was? That's totally naive....
This medieval events today shows people how things were in the past because
they are done mostly ( depending on hwo much we do know about) historical
correct. The event we talk about isn't historical correct and it is never meant
to be a historical lesson. That's the problem you still didn't understand.

> While this planned raid could validly be regarded as
> frivolous, and
> not serious research, the people who participate seriously
> in it
> will learn valid things from it, from the degree of
> concentration
> required in maintaining formation over the period of the
> exercise,
> to the inevitable paranoia felt by anyone who is hunted.
>
> History, whether it be recent or distant, is about people,
> and in
> military affairs, not just the the tactics or equipment but
> the
> people who devised and used them.

Lol

> It is precisely through re-enactment that missing or
> incorrect
> details are found.  When everything is done as it was
> supposed to
> have been done, but then turns out not to work when
> re-enacted, the
> historians know that there is something else that they need
> to find
> out.  In many cases, it has been through re-enactment
> that
> solutions to problems that were known about have been
> found.  Sure,
> it's likely that we will never know _everything_ about the
> past,
> but the past isn't magic and intrinsically beyond
> understanding.

You never read the thread in the forum, did you?

> And as I've said above, things relevant to taking part in
> such a
> mission, whether it be absolutely historically accurate or
> not,
> will still be learned by the people who participate and
> will not be
> invalidated because everything wasn't perfectly true.
>
> Just because learning may incorporate competition and
> entertainment
> it doesn't make the learning frivolous,or somehow wrong.

You don't want tell me that the kids really learn something about, do you?

> There are no simulated people in FG to be killed.
> Neither is anyone
> going to use a flight simulator to simulate killing people
> - if
> they really want to do that they'll choose one of the
> first-person-shooter type games.

Do you really think the step to make this is still so far away? The fact that
they thought about simulating a nuke shows me that it isn't far away from
simulating killing people in FGFS. That's only the next step then.

> Who is talking about fighting the Swastika?

You? Quote: "For example, as pointed out in the forum thread, the
Swastika has been made illegal in several countries and this has
lead to the widely held belief that the Swastika symbol relates
purely to the Nazi regime."

> The fact is that unless it is for
> scholarly
> purposes, the Swastika cannot be displayed in public in
> Germany and
> many other countries, even to the point that model aircraft
> kits
> cannot include Swastika decals, even though they are
> historically
> accurate.

Yep- and?

> I certainly don't hold you, or Germans in general, not even
> those
> old enough to have fought in WW2, to be responsible for
> what the
> Nazis did.  By and large, the combatants on both sides
> have made
> their peace with each other, however, making this symbol
> illegal
> out of respect for victims of the Nazis doesn't change the
> past and
> if anything, has been counter productive.  Instead of
> the symbol
> becoming a powerless reminder of wrongs overcome and never
> to be
> repeated, by outlawing it, it has been infused with more
> power to
> become a rallying point for hate.  Like I say though,
> I don't hold
> you responsible for this.  No, the responsibility lies
> with those
> who failed to cope with it and tried to deny it instead.

As I said- there are still people living who remember this symbol because they
directly felt the aftermath of the symbol and all related. Believe me- the
wounds aren' still cured and they won't not yet if we allow this symbol.

> I don't think that I've shown any disrespect, other than to
> those
> who would rather deny the truth instead of facing up to
> it.

What is the truth for you? That it is history and won't never happened again?
And what do you understand under facing up to it?

>I agree that this isn't the right place for this discussion but I
>was so annoyed that I couldn't let it pass.

It was the right place for it - if not here, then nowhere else.