On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 11:29 AM, Olaf Flebbe <f...@oflebbe.de> wrote:

> Hi Erik,
>
>  >> Did you know that the sound system eats up to 30% of CPU time,
> depending
>  >> on hardware? This even with --disable-sound on the command line.
>  >
>  > That's OpenAL version specific. Mine is twice as fast with 256 voices
>  > but 3.5 times more efficient with less than 32 voices.
>
> Ooops, I have to admit that I am a OpenAL newbie. Do I have to use a
> different set of shared libs? Are these soundcard/codec specfic? Where
> should I get alternative implementations from? I thought there are only
> specific implementations for high-end hardware.

 On Linux you should use OpenAL-Soft (which is used by Ubuntu), Creative
Labs was/is developing their own driver for their cards, but I can't speak
about their status since I don't know anyone using it or interested in doing
so.
 OpenAL-Soft is a software-only implementation, which of course means there
are a few features it doesn't implement, none of which are used by fgfs, I
think.

> My findings are that 30% of total fgfs CPU time on the eee was spend in
> in routines resampling audio, regardless if --disable-sound was set or
> not. (Later I found out that --disable-sound does not disable the sound
> at all: It only mutes sound.) IMHO this is an undesirable overhead even
> if resampling would be 3.5 times faster. I would have expected the top
> one performance bottleneck for fgfs on low end hardware is in graphics,
> not sound.

 This is almost certainly a bug in fgfs or PulseAudio.
 Cheers,
  Matt D.